Thursday, October 23, 2014

Plan for My Curriculum Project

Site title - AfterTheER.com (already purchased from GoDaddy)
Developer - Shannon Toohey (working with my boss Warren Wiechmann for content)
Rational or focus - Our purpose is to provide patient education to improved health literacy in the community. Our objectives will be to create and curate information on emergency medicine aftercare and cover general health concepts for patients.

Main features outline - 
  • Main
    • Aftercare Information and Discharge Videos
    • PEP (Patient Education by Provider) Videos
    • Over-The-Counter Care
    • In the News
    • Ask a Question

Content - There will eventually be quite a few webpages. I'd like to start with the above concepts (Main features) and then I will build out content from there, as described below.
  • Main
    • After Visit Information and Discharge Videos
      • Discharge information and videos for patients
    • PEP (Patient Education by Provider) Videos
      • Health videos on topics pertinent to the community eg. Halloween safety, taking your medications, etc
    • Over-The-Counter Care
      • Articles and videos regarding how to use over the counter medications (eg. over the counter pain medications, children fever - Tylenol/Motrin, RICE for muscle pain etc)
    • In the News
      • Articles and videos regarding health issues in the news such as Ebola, Enterovirus, etc.
    • Ask a Question
      • we won't be able to answer individual questions about a personal specific health problem, but if patients have general questions like what to take for a headache, or how to protect themselves from the flu we will use those for ideas for future videos/articles. 
Target audience - Emergency Department patients and community members...the wonderful thing about being an emergency department doctor is that eventually everyone is a potential patient.

Design considerations - 
I'm not a designer...this is going to be much harder than the content. I want to keep it clean and easy to navigate but ensure it has a modern look. I'm going to have to keep thinking about exactly what I want that to look like. UC Irvine colors are blue and gold so the color scheme may have some basis in that.

Limiting factors - 
I think my limitations in designer knowledge and experience is going to be a huge limiting factor - I'm going to have to look at a lot of other websites to figure out what kind of look I want.
I'm clearly new to this web development stuff so my technical capabilities will also be a limitation although so far the linking and folder organization hasn't been hard for me. However, I would like to have videos built into the pages and I don't know how to do that yet.  Creating a clean, easy to use format is going to be difficult, especially considering I want it to work on Mobile devices so I'm going to have to be sure I incorporate responsive design so it can work on computers, tablets and phones.

Site Map will be mostly hierarchical but as we will suggest other recommended articles and videos May at times be more complex. However most pages will not be more than 2-3 layers deep from the home page.  (forgive my chicken scratch)



Wire frame will be a very simple header and footer with two column format for the main body of the webpage. I like the clean design of sites like Wikipedia and Amazon, plus I want to use most of the space to suggest content for users. It seems to be the most popular current design tactic. People like procrastinating online and they like being told what to look at. Amazon, Wikipedia and Facebook are all examples of this technique and it's very effective. Users spend hours going down the rabbit hole of article after article. (forgive my chicken scratch)


No comments:

Post a Comment