Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Digg Reader

The Digg Reader is an ok media for keeping up to date on blogs, websites and topics. In some ways I like it because it brings information directly to me. But mostly I find it to be a bit of information overload. I really prefer to just look for information when I need it.

I think part of the problem is I already have information overload between the books I need to read, journals, school assignments etc, that adding one more thing just pushed me over the edge.
1. Why don't more people use RSS feeds? 
I know lots of people who know about them or peripherally use them but I don't know too many people who really use it as their primary means of gathering and filtering information. But if used properly it really should be perfect for that - I mean Facebook is like an RSS feed of your friends and people love that. I think people don't truly know how best to use RSS feeds (myself included) and maybe end up with too much clutter. 
2. How do I make the best use of my RSS feed? 
A lot of time I feel RSS feeds end up with so much stuff they're a little unmanageable. I joined a lot of blogs for my new Digg education RSS feed and I already have several I follow for emergency medicine. I think maybe its just too much and turns into information overload. I think what works so well for Facebook is that it hones in on what you like or what people you know are sharing or what the whole world is sharing and gives you that (plus the paid stuff). I think if someone developed an RSS feed that had technology like Facebook to track what you use and show more stuff related to the things you click on to read that could make it more useful. In the mean time I am going to parr down my RSS feed list and see if I can make it a little more manageable. I spent some time on google looking but so far didn't find an RSS feed like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment