Sunday, October 5, 2014

Chapters 1-3

The history of the web is pretty interesting, I think the most amazing part is that most of it has happened in just the past 20 years - so many changes within my lifespan. Its amazing to think that we have actually "run out" of billions of IP addresses. Just goes to show how many electronic/internet capable devices we now have in the world.  

I never knew I could look at source code for webpages.  I’ll be honest, looking at the code of a complicated website was a little intimidating about whether I’m actually going to be able to write my own webpages, but I’m still excited to try. 

The site performance I completely agree with, I too am guilty of getting frustrated with webpages if I have to wait more than a few seconds. Side effect of a generation with 2 second attention span I suppose. The studies google and amazon did on it were interesting – just proving the point. I also really like the Network tool within the developer tools in  Chrome. Its interesting to see exactly what is loading, what information is being requested from the server and how long its taking. I can see how that tool would be helpful in my own development to speed up how a page loads by changing or removing time consuming sections.


  1. When will the new IP system start?  IPv6 has been deploying since the mid 2000s as a 128 bit number using hexadecimals.
  2. How do you decrease the number of requests to a server? I get how to make files smaller but if your webpage has a certain number of elements I’m not clear on how you would decrease the requests without changing the elements and therefore the design. After looking at a couple websites it looks like a lot of the strategies involve simplifying the webpage, combining files, and combining images. Of course, users who have been there before will have quick upload times because of items saved in their browser cache but you probably need to design toward the first-time users as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment